Home From The Hospital

Filed in PersonalTags: Family, Fatherhood, Photos

Today has been a busy and exciting day. After a very early morning (around 4:00 am) feeding and another one around 7:00, we began preparations to leave the hospital to head home. I got most of the rest of our things loaded in the car (I had taken a few things out yesterday evening) and then we ate breakfast. We took care of the last-minute paperwork and tests, and then got Lily ready for her First Foto hospital photos (WebNursery link coming in 3-5 days). Lily looked absolutely adorable in her pink princess dress she got from her Aunt Jenny:

Lillian Newborn 023

Lillian all dressed up for her First Photo hospital baby photos.
Photo © Chip Bennett, all rights reserved.

L ily is so amazingly photogenic; all her poses turned out fabulously.We ordered enough photos to have plenty to give out. For most family, it won't be an 8x10, but it will be more than just a wallet photo. I wish we could do more, but I think you will all be quite pleased!

After her modeling session, we changed Lily into the Bennett Family dressing gown. For those who don't know the story of this gown: it is almost 80 years old, and was worn home from the hospital by my father and all of his brothers and sisters. All of their children, and all of their children, have also worn the dressing gown home from the hospital. We are proud to have Lily continue this tradition. And I couldn't imagine the gown having looked any cuter on anyone:

Lillian Newborn 046

Lillian prepared to leave the hospital, wearing the 80-year-old dressing gown worn by every child, grandchild, and great-grandchild of her Great Grandma Bennett.
Photo © Chip Bennett, all rights reserved.

Both Lily and Stephanie were checked a final time, and both were declared fit to go home. The lactation consultant who taught our breastfeeding class stopped in to see us, and let Steph know that she and Lily were doing a great job. (In fact, they have done so well that Stephanie's milk had come in fully by yesterday evening, and Steph never did experience any of the infamous engorgement or initial pain - of course, Lily has been nursing 20 minutes from each side every three hours or more, so not much is left to cause any pain!)

Having been declared ready to go home, we made our way down to the entrance, got Steph situated and Lily secured for the first time in her car seat, and headed off.

Let me take a moment to talk about our experience at St. John's Mercy Medical Center. Steph and I could not have been happier with the medical treatment, staff, and facilities; nor could we have imagined a better place to have our baby. At all times, Steph had an attending nurse and a nurse's aide, and Lily had an attending nurse of her own. All of the nursing staff and doctors were incredibly attentive, patient, and informative. (My only complaint - which has absolutely nothing to do with medical care - involves the coffee bar. Almost every time I went downstairs for coffee - even during posted hours of operation - the coffee bar was unattended. Given that my usual need for coffee was exacerbated by little sleep we were getting, I was less than happy with this situation.) Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I couldn't imagine having our next baby (which will not be coming any time soon - don't worry!) anywhere else.

We made it home and got both Steph and Lily up the stairs. I called Steph's OB to give him our pharmacy information so that he could call in her prescriptions, and then changed Lily's newest dirty diaper. I swaddled her and put her down to nap in the bassinet in the living room, and then got Steph and I some lunch.

After lunch, I went to pick up Steph's scripts, and when I came home she was feeding again. Apparently, she really likes mommy's nourishment, as not only was this an early feeding, but she also took it with relish:

Lillian Newborn 055

Got (Mommy) Milk?
Photo © Chip Bennett, all rights reserved.

So now the real fun begins: developing our family routines and bonding. Fortunately, I have another week and a half before I have to go back to work, so I can be here to help alleviate as much work as possible for Steph. I will continue to upload as many photos as I can take, so keep checking my Flickr photos.


Comments (Comments are closed)

6 Responses to “Home From The Hospital”
  1. Auntie JuJu says:

    Ahhh! I have to go back and actually read, but I had to comment first – how adorable can one child be?! I could seriously eat her cheeks. She is SO gorgeous I can’t stand it!

  2. Auntie JuJu says:

    All I can say is thank goodness for Ye Olde Internet.
    I’m so happy for you!

  3. Aunt Angie says:

    She is so beautiful. The dress Jenny got is lovely and I absolutely love the whole gown thing. What a wonderful tradition. Congrats and many blessings as you get settled.

  4. Mel says:

    I think the family tradition is awesome (what happens if there are twins?)! It will be nice for you to develop some of your own traditions, too. She is just gorgeous!

  5. Auntie JuJu says:

    Ethan TOTALLY worked the family gown. Nevermind that Michael made me put a *boy* outfit over it. Or was it under? He also wore a handkerchief bonnet made for Morgan – yeah, so it was a wee bit girly – because I wanted to add to the tradition. At any rate, he was wearing about eleventy-seven things and was waaay overdressed for July. And people wondered if we were stable enough to take the child out of the hospital.

    To me, though, it wasn’t anything out of the ordinary. This was tradition!

  6. Nana says:

    She seems to get more beautiful every day!

    My family didn’t have many traditions. I’m SO appreciative of the ones we’ve inherited from the Bennett’s.

    God is good, what a little angel he has given us.

    I still think I have the MOST BEAUTIFUL grandchildren in the whole world.

    Nana B.